Wednesday 13 July 2011

The Big Feastival

Being pregnant over the summer does limit the traditional festival experience somewhat. Take this weekend for instance, I’m attending a beer festival and have already had to phoned ahead to ask if they will be serving any non-alcoholic beers.  Don’t get me wrong being the only sober one when out has its advantages, I have enough embarrassing photos and stories in my locker now to get my own way within in our group for at least a year, but I have found myself wishing there was a more pregnant friendly festival for me to take part in.
Then I won 2 tickets for The Big Feastival and my wishes were answered.  Upon entering the arena I squealed with delight, all my Christmases has come at once.  A funfair, music stages, Split-Screen VW selling ice-cream, clothes for sale, makeovers, cake making, BBQ competitions, cookery demonstrations not to mention over 15 different top restaurant outlets selling food for £5 per dish.  It was as if Mr Oliver had asked Jules ‘what do all pregnant ladies love?’ I can only assume the answer was FOOD!
The food was great, the queues did get big but it was always worth the wait. We got stuck into trying all the free tasters as well – what is with freebies that make you try things you would never go near if you has to pay?
My highlights of the event were the WI tent in which I found clothes by Lilly Allen’s boutique Lucy in Disguise and free knitting lessons, and the Karaoke stage where you could get up and sing with a live band.  I didn’t join in the singing, but some people were really getting into it and there was some real talent on display.
Unfortunately as I only won these tickets 3 days before the event we already had plans for the evening so left about 5pm and missed The Charlatans headlining, but I’ve heard they were great.
I certainly think Jamie Oliver’s golden touch struck again, he had even arranged glorious weather for the day.  He has a great recipe there for a great annual event, excuse the pun.  I certainly would return next year, and this time my main review would be on the cocktails bars!

No comments:

Post a Comment