Wednesday 13 July 2011

The Wonder of Essex Food - The Essex Food Festival

If you are looking for the best food the UK has to offer then I’m pretty sure you could fulfil most of your desires within Essex and Suffolk.  I know I may be bias but we have so much to offer;  Tiptree Jam, Maldon Salt, Kelly Bronze Turkeys,  Essex Pigs and Mersea Oysters, Rossi’s Icecream, Adnams Ales, Marriages flour,  Aspalls Cider and Copella fruit Juices to name but a few of the more famous brands on offer.  Then there are all the local stand alone providers selling their wares at all the wonderful farmers markets these fine counties host on a daily basis.  It’s not surprising with all of these culinary delights on the doorstep that we have also given birth to some of the countries top chefs.
So when talk of an Essex Food Festival began I could barely contain my excitement and the day itself did not disappoint.  The weather was great, which is always a bonus, and when we arrived at Cressing Temple Barns the place was buzzing.  As soon we paid our very reasonable £6 entry fee we were immersed into a foodie heaven.  With so much to try, do and buy we really didn’t know where to start.  We got stuck in to sampling many of the wonderful produce on offer and even with my high views of Essex food I wasn’t disappointed.   All the exhibiters were so lovely and helpful, and they clearly all believed in their products which is so refreshing to see.  I can highly recommend The Giggly Pig Company for truly unique sausages, especially their Lemon and Fennel creation which were divine and The Suffolk Pate Company for wonderfully scrumptious pates, their chickpea and coriander was my personal favourite, such a flavoursome dish with a real kick to it.
After sampling many foodie delights my attention was grabbed by a very interesting lady from Food Safari UK, an inspirational company that goes beyond your usual cookery lessons to give you a real food experience.  Whether you’ve always fancied mushroom foraging, butchery lessons, artisan bread making or a boat trip to catch your fish and learn how to cook it these people have the day for you.  I want to take part in every single one of their 10 experiences on offer; I just don’t know where to start.
Finally on our way to grab some lunch and listen to the live music we got chatting to a very informative, and I must say lovely lady, from  Visit Essex.  Her wealth of information on things to do in the Essex area was astounding and I left armed with bundles of leaflets to read when I got home and with many ideas for days out and.  Just once again proving to me how very wonderful this fine county is.
Well done to the whole of the Essex Food Festival team, you put on one hell of a show; I cannot wait till next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment